Call for PRIVATE consultation
702-978-6902

Danger: Alcohol Withdrawal

Posted: August 25, 2015 by in Addiction Recovery Care Center

Addiction Recovery Care Center

When heavy drinkers have decided to stop “cold turkey” in a sudden, they will probably experience physical symptoms of alcohol withdrawals that can start from minor to severe and even life threatening alcohol withdrawal symptoms, Addiction Recovery Care Center says.

Alcohol withdrawal is a disease that will most likely occur to those individuals who have been abusing alcohol for months or years and then suddenly decided to quit drinking or reduce their intake. The symptoms of the withdrawal can begin immediately after two hours of not drinking alcohol, which can last for weeks and the symptoms may occur from mild to severe. Withdrawal symptoms may include shakiness, anxiety, seizures, and even delirium tremens.

For those who are less dependent to alcohol, they may experience mild alcohol withdrawal symptoms such as sweating, nausea, and anxiety, a faster heartbeat, headache and an increased blood pressure. Unfortunately, all of these withdrawal symptoms frequently go together with the urge to drink more alcohol, which often makes it hard for patients in deciding whether to continue abstinence or not and prevents patients from seeking treatment in a rehab programs center.

Alcohol withdrawal and the Importance of a Professional Treatment

According to studies, 95% of individuals who decides to quit drinking alcohol often experience mild to moderate alcohol withdrawal symptoms that can still be treated by rehab programs center on an outpatient service. However, the remaining 5% struggles from the severe symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and needs to be treated in an inpatient-service at rehab programs center that offers special treatment for alcohol detoxification.

Due to the fact that alcohol withdrawal symptoms can worsen immediately, it is essential to seek treatment even the person is just experiencing mild or moderate withdrawal symptoms. The goal of medically supervised alcohol withdrawal is to avoid severe withdrawal indications such as seizures and DT (Delirium Tremens). Getting a professional treatment will also make it more comfortable for patients and the chance for the family to establish an environment where intervention can be introduced.

The patient who is being treated for severe alcohol withdrawal symptoms will be asked to stay in the rehab programs center so that detoxification professionals will be able to monitor the patient’s heart rate, body temperature, blood pressure, and breathing as well as the chemical in the patient’s body.

If you think that you are a heavy drinker and wants to quit drinking or reduce your alcohol consumption, it is a must for you to ask help from a well-trained and experienced medical expert or a rehab center that focuses on drug and alcohol treatment like Addiction Recovery Care Center, and make sure to be honest about your real alcohol intake. In addition, it is also important to keep in mind that you don’t have to do it “on your own”. You can always ask for a help and there’s nothing wrong with it.

Related Article :

7 Best Things to Do While your Loved One is on Treatment
0 Comment